Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Welcome!

My name is Taylor Fletcher and I am currently a sophomore at the University of Idaho pursuing a degree in Biology. I introduce myself first and foremost as a college student as my education is one of the biggest priorities in my life right now as well as one of the greatest consumers of my time and resources it seems. But at only nineteen I realize that college is just another stepping stone in my life and I still have so much more ahead of me to look forward to. Aside from school I spend a good portion of my time running, reading, and atempting to catch up on sleep which always seems to be in short supply. In the summer I enjoy boating, camping, fishing, and hiking, along with other various outdoor activities, while in the winter I can be found anywhere that has snow for me to ski on. I am a proud member of Alpha Phi and an avid supporter of Greek Life as I can personally vouch for the positive effect that it can have on a young adult's life amongst the trials and turmoil that college life can present.



As I mentioned above, I am currently pursuing a degree in Biology with the intent of going on to medical school after I graduate to become a doctor. I've always had aspirations of becoming a  practicing physician, but have only recently settled on the idea of specializing in plastic surgery with an emphasis in post traumatic or birth defect reconstruction. I think it would be so rewarding to help an individual return or indulge in a sense of physical normality that may be missing from their life, hopefully bringing a sense of comfort, peace of mind, or ease of living. The idea of going to medical school and becoming a doctor has been so long in the making and has always seemed so far away, but now with the MCAT looming in just under a year its starting to become more of a reality. With this thought in mind, it is important for me to start focusing my sights by taking classes and participating in events that are going to make me a more well rounded person and set me up for a successful career path. This is whey I decided to enroll in a sociology course. Working as a plastic surgeon, I will, undoubtably, encounter a variety of different individuals. I will be working with patients, families, coworkers, superiors, and professors from differing countries, cultures, classes, upbringings, and backgrounds with a multitude of different languages, traditions, beliefs, customs, and lifestyles. It will be crucial for me to not only understand and be aware of the differences that I may share with these people, but to embrace it and work through it. Being a doctor provides so many other challenges other than the obvious medical ones, but gaining sociological insight and education will allow me to become a well rounded, worldly, and approachable doctor and individual.



No comments:

Post a Comment